Friday, November 25, 2005

Movies and Magic

Abra-ka-dabra!

Oh yes! I saw Harry Potter and the goblet of fire today! And before your change your mind about reading this post, let me tell you this is not a movie review, so read along!

I went to Satyam Cinema Hall for the first time. Well, I would say its better that most of the old cinema halls in Chennai, but it looks like a mini stadium inside! I don’t know whether the seating capacity is greater or the seating arrangement is such that it gave me that feeling..

It took ages for people to settle down. Mostly all young crowd and a few kids with their parents- one of them was me and I don’t want to disclose which group I belonged to!

The ads bore you to death and you just want the movie to start, a few people are still looking for their seats and then…the lights go out. You see Warner Bros. on the screen, the crowd starts whistling, hooting, screaming etc. at last the movie starts and then the screen goes blank! Now the crowd is screaming even more loudly, few boos, a few shouts, some whistling and I even heard a few people barking…. In some 2 minutes there is a message on the screen: ‘sorry for the break’- management.

All is fine in a few minutes and the movie begins. You are surrounded by magic, the thrill, the excitement and those few hours you become a part of the movie, you live those moments with the characters. When a movie does that to the audience, the movie maker’s purpose is achieved….

Some may say that the movie doesn’t do justice to the book. But I say if you want the book read the book, if you want a movie watch it. Don’t try to mix both!

Its one think to be able to paint a picture with words, another to be able to build those in your imagination but to be able to recreate something like that for others to be able to watch is something wow!

The only word I can use is fascinating. And I am sure most of us took home a magical experience....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home