Saturday, November 19, 2005

And They Lived Happily Ever After....

Lately, a lot of people I know are either getting married or planning to get married.

This brings me to the realization that even I am growing up and I am going to go through that phase myself some time in my life.

Even the thought makes me nervous and I know only part of it is going to be easy for me if it is a love-marriage.

Marriage for a girl in India is not just about marrying a guy and starting a new life with him, it’s also about marrying into a family. New people around you, a new environment, and varied expectations are a part of the package.

In India its not like the West, where divorces are not uncommon and people get divorced like how they sell off an old car, and that too under the name of ‘irreconcilable differences’, because the wife thinks the husband snores too loudly and the husband wouldn’t take any therapy.

This is India, most marriages are a one time thingy.

Here mothers give their daughters lessons on leading a successful married life. E.g.: you are a woman be more compassionate, learn to compromise, etc.

Though things have changed considerably in recent times, they haven’t changed completely.

Here, getting the child married off properly is one of the many big responsibilities of parents. Once you reach the marriageable age, they start looking for suitable alliances and before you know it you are married!

It’s like you walking through that door and sealing your fate with that person for the rest of your life!

I do want to walk through that door some day and seal it forever but only when I am ready….only when I am sure. I am not the one to escape through the fire exit because I think I walked into the wrong place. I want to take that decision fully aware of the consequences and with the maturity to deal with them.

PS:-This post has been inspired by a person, whom I least expected to inspire me in any way! We hardly know each other and have met just once. I don’t even know who she is marrying or how they met… and I may never know. But we do have something in common.

The chances of her coming across this post are as good as me meeting a Martian in this life-time.

But there is something I want to tell her…

I hope you have moved on…

I hope you have found love again…

And I sincerely wish you a happy married life….

1 Comments:

Blogger Shobana said...

well, i too hope they do...:)

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home