Sunday, November 06, 2005

I guess I've grown up

Lollipops, ice-cream, chocolates – they have always been things kids everywhere are crazy about. I was too. As a kid I would listen to the adult’s warn against the excess consumption of these treats and swear never to do the same. I was going to grow up and become an adult alright, but I wasn’t going to turn into THEM.

But guess what? I grew up. I’m certifiably an adult now. And I still like ice-cream and chocolates (have a major craving for them sometimes). But it’s not the same. There are moments when I’m thinking about how unhealthy they are or times when I’m just not in a mood for them. The kid I was, on the other hand, was always in a mood for chocolate and ice-cream.

I guess I’ve grown up.

I’ve always been a bookworm and as a kid it was always a wonder to me that the people around me didn’t get the same pleasure out of reading as I did. Whenever I would exhort my mom to try out a few of my favorite books, her reply would almost always run along the lines of, “Oh, I used to read when I was your age, but I just don’t have the time or the inclination to read now”. And I would gape at her (how can anyone not take the time to read? Or worse, not have the inclination to read?!), and promise myself that I would never let that happen to me. I would always have the inclination no doubt, but I wouldn’t let anything like lack of time get in between me and my hobby either.

Today, there are moments when I realize I haven’t read a good book (or any book for that matter) in ages. Oh, the inclination is there, but I simply have been busy with other things.

I guess I’ve grown up.

I guess the point I ‘m trying to make here (yes, there was a point to all that rambling :) ) is that, as kids, you look at all the grownups around you – their rules and opinions on the stuff you like (maybe even your opinion on what they like/dislike) – and swear never to turn into one; you promise yourself that you will always be your 7 or 13 or 16 year old self even as a twenty or thirty something adult. But sometimes (most times?) you become them without even realizing you have.

I guess I’ve grown up.

And I don’t know if I’m amused at the kid I was or sorry that I’ve let her down.

But growing up isn’t altogether such a bad thing right?


I'll be ok.

As long as I remember the kid I was and don’t ever forget her; as long I have those moments where I let the kid take charge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home