Sunday, November 06, 2005

Cricket


The India Vs Srilanka cricket match is going on and while most of my family is glued to the television screen, I can’t muster any interest whatsoever for the game.

It’s funny. As a kid, the last thing you’re interested in is sports. At least I wasn’t. I was more into cartoons and movies. Then I grew older – I was still a kid but old enough to understand the game – and somehow my views toward cricket (in particular) changed. It wasn’t boring anymore. On the contrary, it was fun to gather around the television with this whole group of people and root for my country, my team. For a while there, I and sis were so into it that we would actually rummage for our so-called ‘lucky’ coins (Hey. You’ve heard of lucky rabbit foot’s? Horseshoes? Four leaf clovers? Well, we had lucky coins :) ) so we could hold them and chant ‘Six! Six!’ or ‘Wicket! Wicket!’ (depending on whether our team was on the batting or bowling side), hoping that it would actually produce the desired and hoped for result.

And then I grew older still. The match fixing controversy happened. Our team started losing more and more; Players kept changing. For no particular rhyme or reason, my interest in cricket waned and continued waning until there was no interest left whatsoever.

Which was something, the kid who really enjoyed the game, never thought would happen.

I kind of miss the enthusiasm I used to have for the game. What the heck! I even miss the chanting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home